Accommodation Related Questions and Answers
At the moment, monthly rents in Luxembourg City range from about EUR 900+ for an unfurnished studio apartment to EUR 2,500+ for a four-bedroom house.
Please keep in mind that prices outside the city will be lower, in this case you will need to invest in a car or be prepared to take public transportation.
You will need to take the following additional housing-related costs into account:
- BEFORE you move in: you must pay a one-month agency commission plus 15% VAT;
- BEFORE you move in: you must pay the first month's rent as well as a deposit ("bank guarantee") equaling two or sometimes three months' rent;
- AFTER you move in: you will need to take out a minimum insurance coverage (the school will help you with this) for the apartment / house and your belongings;
- AFTER you move in: you may need to buy furnishings for the apartment / house;
- AFTER you move in: you may need to buy a phone for the apartment / house;
- AFTER you move in: you may need to pay to have the land-line and the television cable connections re-connected.
It is very important for you to check out the internet sites listed below to get an idea on what might be currently available on the housing market and what the prices are likely to be. However, please remember that Luxembourg rental market moves really fast and apartments or houses which you see on the market now may not be available by the time you arrive in July.
Want to share?
If you come as single and do not wish to live on your own, or not sure where to live in Luxembourg at first, sharing a flat with other similar professional workers can be a good temporary solution, at a reasonable price. Talk about all this with your relocation agent so he/she can provide you the best housing options for you.