Our students and staff engage in a variety of charity fund-raising projects and events throughout the year. We have a core group of charities that receive our regular support through the ISL Charity Common Fund. These include:
- Friends of the Philippines, supporting school-building repairs and school equipment
- Blue Dragon Children’s foundation, supporting street children in Vietnam
- Handichien, raising money for guide dogs for the handicapped in Luxembourg
- ‘Smiles’ in Nepal, focused on grass roots village development projects
- Kenako, supporting an orphanage in Cape Town for HIV positive children
- Turkey school project, supporting resources for the Orhaniye School
- Fondation Stamm, supporting multiple development projects in Burundi
- UNICEF, supporting global relief work under the auspices of the United Nations
- Global Issues group, supporting the local charity Femmes en Detress
- Emergency funds released to Médecins Sans Frontières and Red Cross for responding to humanitarian crises as a result of natural disasters or human conflict
Funds are raised for these Common Fund charities via All School charity fundraising events such as the Community Charity Concert, Mayfest and the ISL Walk-a-thon. An ISL Charity Fund-Raising Committee meets at least twice a year to oversee any new applications for support from the school's Common Charity Fund and to review fund-raising efforts. To be eligible to come under the umbrella of the Common Charities fund, any new charities must be student supported and meet certain requirements such as having a specific faculty contact, a legitimate charity status, a local/organisational contact and observable/measureable outcomes.
Requests to support any other specific individual charities must first receive approval from the Lower School and Upper School Principals
Charity Fundraising in 2015-2016
During the last school year, our students, staff and parents worked together to raise funds for our regularly supported charities and some additional ones. Over €12,000 was raised for our Common Fund charities. Additional funds were also raised by students, staff and parents for Oxfam, Save the Children, Mukwashi Trust, and for CAS trips projects in Cambodia (Tabitha Housing Project) and Namibia.
A school-wide collection of clothing, school supplies and other items needed for Syrian refugees based at the German Red Cross refugee camp in Frankfurt-Hahn was conducted in September-October 2016 and distributed at the camp by students from the Upper School, assisted by the school maintenance team.
The ISL Charity Fund Raising Committee wishes to thank all the students, parents, staff and donors involved in our fund-raising efforts in the previous school year, and for “inspiring our students to act as responsible participants in a global society” (ISL School Mission statement). We welcome your involvement and support in the year ahead.