ISL's Learning Support Philosophy
At the International School of Luxembourg, we believe that all students have a unique learning profile. The Support Services Team is dedicated to creating a positive learning environment that responds to diverse learning needs. The team collaborates with students, teachers, families and others in the community to foster the healthy development of all our students, supporting them to reach their full potential and prepare them for lifelong learning as independent global citizens.
The following applies to all sections of the school including primary, middle, high school and the IB programme.
Learning Support teachers provide services for students with mild learning differences to meet their diverse needs as they access the general curriculum. Students benefit from a balance of inclusive support and differentiated instruction alongside discrete instruction in small groups, to address specific needs relating to the individual learning profile.
Scope of Academic Support
At ISL, we can support students with these learning needs by providing:
- Pull-out instruction in a small group setting
- In-class support
- Instruction in study skills, including metacognitive approaches
- Consultative support for teachers and parents
- Collaborative planning with teachers to support differentiated instruction for a wide range of learners
- Cooperation with external specialists
- Accommodation for standardised testing
- Self-advocacy skill development, with an emphasis on fostering a growth mindset
Please note: The following services are not provided by ISL however they can be accessed privately in Luxembourg or surrounding area.
- Speech and language therapy
- Fine, gross and sensory motor therapy
- Intensive, or long-term socio-emotional therapy
- Complete Psychoeducational evaluation
In keeping with the requirements of the external examination bodies such as CIE and IBO, any students receiving testing accommodations must have a full pyscho-educational or psychological evaluation which has been conducted by an external, fully qualified and licensed professional psychologist. Evaluations from non-qualified individuals will not be accepted under any circumstances. Parents seeking services from an external source are strongly advised to consult with the school on this matter before proceeding.