The learning of language is fundamental to life-long learning and communication. At ISL all teachers are language teachers because language learning permeates the whole curriculum. Through language, our students acquire the ability to think and to learn, to develop social skills and values and to acquire knowledge. Students will:
- Learn language to a level required for academic success
- Be plurilingual in a multilingual society
- Be encouraged to develop cultural awareness and respect
- Be encouraged to respect and understand the special linguistic and cultural make-up of our host country, Luxembourg
- Be encouraged to maintain and enrich their proficiency in their mother-tongue or best language
In order to meet the needs of our students we run comprehensive programmes in English as an Additional Language for English Language Learners across the school as well as Modern Language programmes teaching all levels of French in Grades K-12 and German in Grades 6-12.
In the School Year 2017/18 Spanish has been introduced as a part of the Language acquisition programme. At the moment students can choose Spanish in the Middle School and as an ab initio Language in the IB Programme. All Languages offered follow the European Framework Curriculum. As part of the Cascade programme, Middle School students take also Luxembourgish Language and Culture classes to learn more about our host country.
We recognise the important role of the first language in enhancing second language acquisition, cognitive growth, and students' overall well-being. ISL therefore hosts a number of mother tongue programmes organised by various community groups whose goal is to further students' growth and development in their native languages and cultures.